The Georgetown University Language Exchange Program (LEP) is a free service provided by the Office of Global Services (OGS) to connect individuals who wish to practice and improve their foreign language speaking skills. The Office of Global Services provides a platform for participants to voluntarily introduce themselves to a language exchange partner. The quality of the experience depends on the reciprocal input of each participant.
By independently scheduling meetings to chat and practice, LEP participants meet new friends, benefit from each other's knowledge, expand their skills, and are better able to engage the world around them. There are no fees for the Language Exchange Program and requests may be submitted at any time throughout the year.
As a participant, you will have the opportunity to:
- Improve valuable foreign language conversation skills
- Learn everyday terms and phrases in a foreign language
- Share your culture with others and increase your understanding of other cultures
- Build social networks through friendly interactions
- Gain additional language and cultural preparation for study abroad or other overseas travel
- Add a second language to your resume and complement your current studies
- Create a conversation group for the target language
WANT TO JOIN US?
Please request access to our Language Exchange Program platform here. You will need your Georgetown E-mail address to enroll; please e-mail Stacy Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are affiliated with GU, but have no Georgetown E-mail address. Please do not request access if you are not a GU student, staff, scholar, or dependent of a Georgetown affiliate.
Matching and meeting with your language exchange partner
Your partner will be a student, scholar, or professional whose first language matches the one you are learning. To get started, you may fill out our online request. Once your information has been reviewed, you will be sent an invitation to join our online community where you may create a profile and actively start searching for a language exchange partner.
Although we are actively searching for new LEP participants, at times an imbalance in certain target languages does occur. We thank you in advance for your patience.
Please note: If at least one of the language partners is a current Georgetown student, scholar, or staff member, LEP meetings must take place on Georgetown's main campus (37th and O Streets, NW). This is to ensure both safety and convenience. Georgetown University assumes no liability for any aspect of the program.
Languages and skill level
This program is recommended for participants with at least intermediate proficiency in the language (2nd year) and is limited to those individuals associated with Georgetown University as either current students, scholars, faculty, staff, alumni or their family members.
Some of our most popular languages include Mandarin, French, Arabic, and Spanish.
- Consult the LEP Conversation Guide for tips on how to approach your first meeting and get the most out of the experience.
- CNDLS Language Learning Technology Center (for GU students, faculty, and staff only)
- U.S. Department of State: American English - Resources for Learning English
- Check out one of these free English conversation groups in the local area, hosted by local libraries:
Georgetown Neighborhood Library English Conversation Group, 3260 R St. NW, Washington, DC
Arlington Central Library English Conversation Class, 1015 N Quincy St, Arlington, VA 22201
Aurora Hills Branch Library English Conversation Group, 735 18th Street South, Arlington, VA
Mount Pleasant Library English Conversation Group. 3160 16th St NW, Washington, DC
Unitarian Church of Arlington English Conversation Group, 4444 Arlington Blvd, Arlington, VA (map)