Admitted F-1 and J-1 Students

The instructions on this website do not apply to the English Language Center or Law Center.

Students admitted for full-time, in-person study at Georgetown are eligible for F-1 or J-1 nonimmigrant student status. Most Georgetown international students use F-1 status. This F-1/J-1 Comparison Chart (PDF) details the requirements, restrictions, and benefits of F-1 student status and the J-1 Exchange Visitor program.

To study in the United States in F-1 or J-1 status, each student must obtain:

  1. A Form I-20 (F-1) or Form DS-2019 (J-1): Students must submit a Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 Application to the Office of Global Services (OGS) no later than 30 days before the program-specific mandatory arrival date (PDF). OGS’s processing time is three weeks after receiving the complete application. OGS recommends applying for the Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 as soon as possible to allow maximum time to apply for the F-1 or J-1 visa at a U.S. consulate.

    Please note: Students who will transfer their active F-1 or J-1 status to Georgetown from another school must apply for a Georgetown Form I-20 or Form DS-2019, even if they do not need a new F-1 or J-1 visa in their passport.
  2. An F-1 or J-1 visa (if applicable): After receiving the Georgetown Form I-20 or Form DS-2019, students can apply at a U.S. embassy or consulate for an F-1 or J-1 student visa.

Students who receive a Form DS-2019 from a non-Georgetown sponsor (e.g. Fulbright, IIE, AMIDEAST, Brazil Scientific Mobility Program, etc.) must report their information to the J-1 Report as an International Student Form.

Students with a non-student status (anything other than F-1 or J-1) do not have OGS reporting requirements.