The Language Exchange Program (LEP) is a free service provided by the Office of Global Services (OGS) to connect individuals who wish to practice and improve their foreign language speaking skills. OGS hosts an online platform for participants to voluntarily introduce themselves to a language exchange partner. The quality of the experience depends on the reciprocal input of each participant.
How does it work?
By independently scheduling meetings to chat and practice, LEP participants meet new friends, benefit from each other's knowledge, expand their skills, and are better able to engage the world around them. LEP is recommended for participants with at least intermediate proficiency in the language (2nd year) and is limited to Georgetown affiliates as either current students, scholars, faculty, staff, alumni or their family members. LEP's most popular languages include Mandarin, French, Arabic, and Spanish. There are no fees for the LEP and requests to join may be submitted at any time.
Participants have the opportunity to:
- Improve valuable foreign language conversation skills
- Learn everyday terms and phrases in a foreign language
- Share your culture with others and increase your understanding of other cultures
- Build social networks through friendly interactions
- Gain additional language and cultural preparation for study abroad or other overseas travel
- Add a second language to your resume and complement your current studies
- Create a conversation group for the target language
Please note: If at least one of the language partners is a current Georgetown student, scholar, or staff member, LEP meetings must take place on Georgetown's main campus (37th and O Streets, NW). This is to ensure both safety and convenience. Georgetown University assumes no liability for any aspect of the program.
I'm ready TO JOIN!
Complete the online request form here using your Georgetown email address.
If you are affiliated with GU but do not have a GU email address, please email email@example.com.
You will receive an invitation to join the online community once your information has been reviewed.
Accept the invitation!
Begin by creating a profile and actively start searching for a language exchange partner!
Only GU students, staff, scholars, faculty or dependents of a Georgetown affiliate are eligible to join LEP.
Additional Language Resources
- LEP Conversation Guide for tips on how to approach your first meeting and get the most out of the experience.
- CNDLS Language Learning Technology Center (for GU students, faculty, and staff only)
- U.S. Department of State: American English - Resources for Learning English
- FREE English conversation groups hosted by local libraries:
Georgetown Neighborhood Library English Conversation Group, 3260 R St. NW, Washington, DC
Aurora Hills Branch Library English Conversation Group, 735 18th Street South, Arlington, VA
Unitarian Church of Arlington English Conversation Group, 4444 Arlington Blvd, Arlington, VA