Visiting Professors

Generally, Visiting Professors are eligible to come to Georgetown in J-1 status. To be admitted in J-1 status, the individual must obtain a Form DS-2019 from Georgetown and use it to apply for a J-1 visa at a U.S. Consulate in his/her home country. To request a Form DS-2019, the Department should complete the J-1 Scholar Request Form (PDF) and submit it to OGS with the required attachments listed on the form.  Visiting faculty must be appointed before OGS will process their visa documents.

Tenure-Track or Tenured Professors

Tenure-track or tenured faculty are usually sponsored for H-1B temporary worker status due to the more permanent nature of their employment.  OGS cannot sponsor tenure-track or tenured faculty under a J-1 scholar visa.

For information about the H-1B temporary worker visa, visit the H-1B section of the website and access the H-1B request Form (PDF).


More Information