Guidelines for Departments and Students

On-Campus employment is work performed on the premises of Georgetown University, including employment with the Medical Center or any on-location commercial firms which provide direct services to students on campus. International students should not plan to meet their educational or personal living expenses through employment earnings.

  • A student in valid J-1 status may engage in on-campus employment after receiving authorization from OGS.
  • Employment may begin up to 30 days prior to the program start date listed on the student's Form DS-2019.
  • All J-1 student employment may not exceed 20 hours per week while school is in session.
  • Employment may exceed 20 hours per week during official school breaks or vacations, such as the summer session.
  • Approval for on-campus employment is automatically withdrawn when the student's program is completed or terminated.
  • Continued employment beyond the authorized employment end date on the On-Campus Work Authorization Form requires a new authorization form to be completed.

Department Responsibilities

Does the student have a Social Security Number (SSN)?

Hiring department completes the J-1 On-Campus Work Authorization Form (PDF) and prints on official letterhead for I-9 purposes.

Hiring department completes the J-1 On-Campus Work Authorization Form (PDF), prints on official letterhead, provides an ink signature, and gives the letter to the student to take to OGS.

J-1 On-Campus Work Authorization Form (PDF)

Student Responsibilities

1. Bring completed J-1 On-Campus Work Authorization Form (PDF) to OGS during an appointment or walk-ins for a signature from an IS Advisor. Please ensure the form has been printed on hiring department letterhead and includes an ink signature.

2. Do you have a Social Security Number (SSN)?

Once you have authorization from OGS, proceed to below I-9 and Tax instructions.

Complete the Social Security Card application (see below). Once you have authorization from OGS, proceed to below I-9 and Tax instructions.

J-1 On-Campus Work Authorization Form (PDF)

Applying for the Social Security Number

Social Security Administration (SSA)

Students should use the Social Security Office Locator to determine the most convenient SSA office location.

*Note: New students must have an active SEVIS record before applying for the SSN. It takes an average 10 days after registration for SEVIS to connect with the SSA database.

Please bring the following original documents with you:
  • Completed SS-5
  • (J-1) On-Campus Work Authorization Form
  • DS-2019 Form
  • Form I-94
  • Valid passport (more than 1-year-old)

Students will be given a receipt of the application that may be used to begin work while the application is pending. Upon receipt, the original SSN card must be presented to the I-9 Office.

I-9 Office Social Security Administration's Website

Completing the Hiring Paperwork

The student is also required to complete the following hiring paperwork:

1. Complete the I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form. Once you are hired, you will receive an email prompt to complete part 1 of the I-9 process in GMS. Then, visit the Office of Human Resources for verification of I-9 requirements. No appointment needed.

2. If applicable, follow instructions on the Financial Affairs Nonresident Alien (NRA) Tax Withholding website. Do not complete the NRA form if your country does not appear on the IRS U.S. Income Tax Treaties list. Note that if your visa status is extended or changes, you will need to go through this process again to update your information.

Non-Resident Alien Tax Withholding