Maintaining Legal Status

Students entering the United States using a Form DS-2019 should be admitted in J-1 Exchange Visitor status. There are specific regulations governing Exchange Visitors, and J-1 students are legally responsible for maintaining their own status by understanding and complying with these regulations. If you have any questions regarding your immigration status, please consult with your dedicated IS Advisor.

The U.S. Government considers students who violate J-1 regulations "out of status." Penalties for violating status can be serious and may affect not only a student's entire academic career but also future applications for U.S. visas or other immigration benefits.

Upon arrival in the United States, J-1 students should verify that their documents were properly processed by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) inspector at the border.  

  • Passport has been issued an admission stamp with the date of entry and "J-1/DS"
  • Visit the I-94 Official Website and verify the I-94 information states "J-1/DS". 
  • Print a copy for your records after each entry to the U.S.  
  • Contact your IS Advisor if there are any errors

Students with a J-1 entry visa should be aware that their program sponsor (the organization that issued the DS-2019 Form) is responsible for advising them about all immigration concerns. The program sponsor may be Georgetown University or another sponsoring agency such as the Institute of International Education (Fulbright) or the Organization of American States (OAS).

  • Check in with OGS for an Immigration Document Review
  • Attend a mandatory Immigration & Compliance Session

  • Undergraduates should enroll in a minimum of 12 credit hours each term.
  • Graduate students must be registered for the full-time normative credit loan on file with the U.S. Government and the Graduate School of record
  • Graduate students registered for Thesis Research (or a combination of credits and thesis research) also meet the full-course-of-study requirement

Taking less than a full course of study can only be authorized on a case by case basis by an IS Advisor. Please meet with your IS Advisor to start this lengthy process. 

  • Students are limited to no more than 20 hours per week when school is in session.
  • Students may engage in full-time work (over 20 hours per week) during official school breaks and vacations.

  • All paperwork  relating to an extension must be submitted to the IS Advisor at least ten days in advance of the program end date