A student who plans to transfer to Georgetown University from another U.S. institution must complete the following steps:
- Begin the immigration document request process using the link provided in his/her official Georgetown admissions letter
- Ask the IS Advisor at the previous institution to complete the F-1/J-1 Transfer-In Form and determine a transfer release date.
- The Transfer-In Form should be uploaded by the student to his/her International Student Portal account.
- The student should upload scans of the passport, current F-1/J-1 visa, all previous copies of Form I-20s or Form DS-2019s, I-94 number, and financial documents to their International Student Portal account.
- A Georgetown IS Advisor will issue a new Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 Form once all documents have been approved and the SEVIS release date has been reached.
Current Georgetown students in F-1 or J-1 status who wish to transfer to another U.S. institution must email or schedule an appointment with their dedicated IS Advisor at Georgetown for details on how to initiate the transfer. A copy of the admission letter and the transfer-in form from the new school (if applicable) must be provided to the IS Advisor at Georgetown.
Graduating students in F-1 status beginning a new program of study must transfer their immigration status within the 60 day grace period following successful completion of the current program of study or period of authorized Optional Practical Training (OPT).
Graduating students in J-1 status must transfer their immigration status prior to the end date listed on the Form DS-2019.
Mid-program students must transfer their immigration status prior to the last day of the add/drop period for the next required semester at Georgetown. After the transfer release date has been reached, Georgetown may no longer access your student record in SEVIS.