F-1 On-Campus Employment

Guidelines for Departments and Students

On-Campus employment is work performed on the premises of Georgetown University, including employment with the Medical Center or any on-location commercial firms which provide direct services for students on campus.

  • A student in valid F-1 status may engage in on-campus employment.
  • Employment may begin up to 30 days prior to the program start date listed on the student's Form I-20.
  • All F-1 student employment may not exceed 20 hours per week while school is in session.
  • Employment may be full time during official school breaks or vacations, such as the summer session.
  • Approval for on-campus employment is automatically withdrawn when the student's program is completed or terminated.
  • A student may not start on-campus employment without at least an application receipt from the Social Security Administration
Department Responsibilities

Does the student have a Social Security Number (SSN)?

There is no need to report the on-campus employment or request authorization from OGS.

Hiring department completes the Social Security On-Campus Employment Form, prints on official letterhead, and gives letter to student to take to OGS.

Student Responsibilities

Do you have a Social Security Number?

There is no need to report the on-campus employment or request authorization from OGS.

1) Bring completed Social Security On-Campus Employment Form to  an appointment or walk-in hours at OGS for a signature from an IS staff member.  Please ensure the form has been printed and signed on the hiring department letterhead. 

2) Complete application for a Social Security Card (See below).

Applying for the Social Security Number

Social Security Administration
2100 M Street NW
Washington, DC 20037
Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri, 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.; Wed, 9:00 a.m.-12:00 noon

*New students must wait 10 days from the date of entry to the United States and must have an active SEVIS record before applying for the SSN.

Please bring the following original documents with you:

  • Completed SS-5
  • (F-1) Social Security On-Campus Employment Form
  • I-20 Form
  • I-94 card/automated I-94 form (https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/i94/#/home)
  • Valid passport (more than 1 year old)

Students will be given a receipt of application that may be used to begin work while the application is pending. Upon receipt, the original SSN card must be presented to the employer.

For more details, see the Social Security Administration's website.

Completing the Hiring Paperwork

The student is also required to complete the following hiring paperwork:

(1) Complete the I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form in at the Department of Human Resources (HR). Federal law requires the University to verify the identity and the legal ability to work of all its employees before the third day of employment. You will be asked to choose from a list of documents that establish your legal status and to provide the originals of those documents to your employer. The complete list of documents is available on the I-9 Form. The following combinations of documents are most commonly available for international students: Unexpired Passport, Form I-94, Form I-20, on campus employment form.

It may be best to set up an appointment by e-mailing i-9@georgetown.edu. The Department of Human Resources has multiple locations, one in Darnall Hall and one on Wisconsin Avenue. Please see the I-9 website for hours and locations.  

(2) Submit documentation to the Georgetown Tax Department to set up your tax withholdings.  Complete the Tax Office Google Form and follow their instructions for submitting your documents. E-mail taxdepartment@georgetown.edu with any questions.