Guidelines for Departments and Students
On-Campus employment is work performed on the premises of Georgetown University, including employment with the Medical Center or any on-location commercial firms which provide direct services to students on campus.
- A student in valid J-1 status may engage in on-campus employment after receiving authorization from OGS.
- Employment may begin up to 30 days prior to the program start date listed on the student's Form DS-2019.
- All J-1 student employment may not exceed 20 hours per week while school is in session.
- Employment may exceed 20 hours per week during official school breaks or vacations, such as the summer session.
- Approval for on-campus employment is automatically withdrawn when the student's program is completed or terminated.
- Continued employment beyond the authorized employment end date on the On-Campus Work Authorization Form requires a new authorization form to be completed.
Does the student have a Social Security Number (SSN)?
Do you have a Social Security Number (SSN)?
2) Once signed by both your employer and OGS, return the form to your employer.
3) Complete the Hiring Process (see below)
2) Complete application for a Social Security Card (See below).
3) Once signed by both your employer and OGS, return the form to your employer.
4) Complete the Hiring Process (see below)
Please note: If your DS-2019 is not sponsored by GU, contact your program sponsor for an on-campus work authorization letter.
|Applying for the Social Security Number|
Social Security Administration (SSA)
2100 M Street NW
Washington, DC 20037 *Students must have an active SEVIS record before applying for the SSN. First-year students should confirm with their IS Advisor before visiting the SSA. Please bring the following original documents with you:
Students will be given a receipt of the application that may be used to begin work while the application is pending. Upon receipt, the original SSN card must be presented to the I-9 Office.
|Completing the Hiring Paperwork|
The student is also required to complete the following hiring paperwork:
(1) Complete the I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form in University Human Resources (UHR). Federal law requires the University to verify the identity and the legal ability to work of all its employees before the third day of employment. You will be asked to choose from a list of documents that establish your legal status and to provide the originals of those documents to your employer. The following combinations of documents are most commonly used for international students: (F-1) Unexpired Passport, Form I-94, Form I-20, (J-1) Unexpired Passport, Form I-94, Form DS-2019, OGS/sponsor work authorization form.
It may be best to set up an appointment by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org University Human Resources has multiple locations, one in Darnall Hall and one on Wisconsin Avenue. Please see the I-9 website for hours and locations.
(2) Submit documentation to the Georgetown Tax Department to set up your tax withholdings. Complete the Tax Office Google Form and follow their instructions for submitting your documents. E-mail email@example.com with any questions.