International Graduate Orientation (IGO)
Sunday, January 5 – Tuesday, January 7, 2020
OGS hosts an orientation program of information sessions and social events for new graduate students (including graduate exchange students) enrolling in F-1 and J-1 status in Spring 2020. Interactive sessions focus on academic life, immigration regulations, healthcare, employment, and other topics critical to success at Georgetown!
All students in F-1 and J-1 status are automatically registered for orientation and will incur a $50 international orientation fee. Students must attend all mandatory international orientation sessions in order to remain in legal student status.
All sessions will be held in the Office of Global Services, Car Barn 210.
Students may meet with an IS Advisor during OGS walk-in hours from 10:30am-12pm and 2-4pm.
Students should pick up their GOCard at the Leavey Center bookstore (new window) between 9am-7pm.
- 9:45am Meet tour guide at OGS in Car Barn 210
- 10am Tours of Yates Field House, Hilltop Campus, and Lauinger Library
- 12-1pm Lunch on Your Own (Lunch Map)
- 1-2pm Student Life Expo
- 1:45pm Meet tour guide at OGS in Car Barn 210
- 2-3pm Tours of Yates Field House, Hilltop Campus, and Lauinger Library
All sessions will be in GU Hotel & Conference Center.
Attendance is mandatory for all sessions.
- 8:30-9am Welcome & Check-in
- 9-10:15am Status & Study: U.S. Immigration
- 10:30-11:45am American Cultural Narratives
- 12-1pm Boxed Lunch – all are welcome
- 1:15-2:15pm Words of Wisdom Panel Discussion
- 2:15-3:15pm Practical Training & Employment
New International Student Pre-Arrival Checklist
Being organized and prepared before you leave home will make your transition much easier! Below is a checklist of tasks to complete before your arrival at Georgetown. Your academic department or program may require additional tasks, so be sure to read all information you receive from Georgetown University.
Are you a new international student enrolling a program at the School of Continuing Studies (SCS)? If so, SCS orientation information may be found on the SCS Admitted International Students website.