2016 Tax Information

If you held F-1, F-2, J-1 or J-2 status in 2016, you must file at least one tax form with the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS)  by April 18, 2017 - even if you didn't earn any money in the United States. To determine what you need to do and access resources geared to your circumstances, answer the following questions.


Did you receive U.S. sourced income in 2016? (January 1-December 31, 2016)

 What Counts as U.S. sourced Income?

  • Salary and employment wages (including practical training and academic training)
  • The part of a scholarship that exceeds the cost of tuition, books, and fees
  • Fellowships and/or graduate assistantships
  • Honoraria

Resources / Where Can I Find the Answer to My Question?

International Student & Scholar Advisors are not tax specialists and cannot advise you on tax matters or help you complete your tax forms. Please review the information provided and consult the following resources for answers to your questions.

Tax Scams

Do not fall victim to scammers who call and say they are with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)! There has been an increase in aggressive phone scams where people call and threaten you with police arrest or deportation if you don’t pay them.  Even if you do owe taxes:

  • The IRS will NEVER call and demand immediate payment over the phone.
  • The IRS will NEVER try to threaten or intimidate you, demand payment with a prepaid debit card, or ask for your credit card or debit card number over the phone.
  • The IRS will NEVER threaten to call the police or immigration agents if you don’t pay.

If you get a call like this, report it to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration by calling 800-366-4484 or visiting www.tigta.gov. Also, report it to the Federal Trade Commission.