International Organization FAQs

General Questions

The internship must be with a recognized International Organization within the meaning of the 59 Stat. 669, International Organization Immunities Act, (see 22 USC 288) and within the scope of the organization’s sponsorship.

Scroll down to section (c) of the linked page from the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR).

*Note: World Bank (Group) listed as:

  • International Bank for Reconstruction and Development
  • International Development Association
  • International Finance Corporation
  • International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes

OGS observes offers from both larger WB(G) and smaller units within.

  • Students in F-1 status
  • Enrolled full time
  • Written offer of employment from a qualifying International Organization
  • Part-time work during academic terms, full-time work during official breaks and vacations
  • Pre-completion only

Application Process


  • Complete the IO Request Form (PDF)
  • Written job offer from approved International Organization
  • Submit the IO Request Form and job offer letter to your dedicated IS Advisor by email as PDF attachments


Guidance provided by Georgetown University’s Office of Global Services (OGS) and International Student & Scholar Services.

*Note: Form I-765 must always be retrieved from the USCIS website to ensure use of the most current version.

General guidelines:

  • Read the instructions carefully and keep them by your side as you complete the Form I-765. Some application requirements are only listed in the instructions and are not listed on the I-765 itself. Find the instructions on the USCIS website.
  • Use the OGS Sample Form I-765 (PDF) as a general guide. Answer all questions as they pertain to your specific situation.
  • Submit all pages of the form – even if some pages do not pertain to you.
  • Type your responses and print the form.
  • Sign the I-765 in black ink. A typed or stamped name is not acceptable.
  • If a question does not apply to you, leave it blank while you complete the form and then write either N/A (short for “not applicable”) or None in black after printing. See the OGS Sample Form I-765 (PDF).
  • Make several copies of the Part 6 page in case you must provide additional information
  • Use Part 6 Additional Information if you need more space for a response to a specific question. If you provide any information on this page, write your name at the top and sign and date each page.
  • See the OGS Sample I-765 (PDF) for difficulty with any questions, especially the additional information required in Part 6.
  • Do the application documents have to be in any specific order? Follow the order listed in the I-765 filing instructions.
  • Should I put my name on the back of the photos? Yes, use a felt tip pen or print lightly in pencil. You should not be able to see any markings on the front of the photos.

OGS processing is 3-5 business days. Students will receive an email to pick up the document at the OGS reception desk when it is ready.

Yes. Before you have mailed your application to USCIS, contact your IS Advisor and s/he will cancel the recommendation in SEVIS. After you have mailed the document, you must send a written request to the Service Center. Speak with your IS Advisor for details.

USCIS estimates 3-5 months for processing of Form I-765 applications. OGS has observed a wide range of IO processing times; some cases were approved in less than two months, but other students have waited more than four months for approval. Within 2-3 weeks of submitting the application, you should receive a notice that your application is pending.

While Working with an International Organization

This type of employment can be full-time or part-time depending on the proposed dates. Federal immigration regulations allow for full time work during official university breaks and vacations, and work up to 20 hours per week during the academic term.

The job offer letter can indicate employment for up to one year and OGS will recommend employment only for the dates indicated on the job offer letter. If the job continues to be available, the student must re-apply for continued employment authorization up to three months before the authorization expires.

No. Students must stop working at the end date listed on the EAD. Students must receive a new EAD and the dates must be current before the student can return to work.

USCIS offers an avenue for inquiry into non-delivery of the card. However, the most likely outcome of this ‘e-request’ is that USCIS will not take responsibility for the non-delivery, and will instead instruct you to apply for a replacement card.

You may consider it more time-effective to simply proceed with the replacement card application:

  1. Prepare the following materials to include with your replacement application:
    • A cover page (we recommend using brightly colored paper) indicating the reason for your application (e.g. ‘Never Received Card’)
    • A brief letter to USCIS explaining the circumstances for your application and the hardship you have suffered.
    • A copy of the Form I-797 Approval Notice that you received in the mail.
    • A new Form I-20 from OGS indicating your authorization approval on Page 2.
  2. Adding the above materials, prepare and send an application* following the instructions in Step 3 on the relevant IO webpage.
    • Please make the following indications on the Form I-765:
    • Check item 1.b. instead of item 1.a.
    • In item 12, answer yes.
    • If you are not already enrolled, we strongly recommend signing up for USPS Informed Delivery, as it will hopefully increase the likelihood that your next card reaches you successfully.
  3. Within a few weeks of submitting your application for replacement, you will receive a new Form I-797 Receipt Notice, which can be used to temporarily meet the Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification requirements. The USCIS Employee Rights website hay help you navigate the challenges you face without an EAD card.

The Receipt Notice may also be valid for re-entry to the United States in place of the EAD, but we recommend contacting an immigration attorney for guidance in such complex circumstances.

What if I Want/Need to Start Working While Waiting for the Replacement EAD?
An employee may present a receipt for the application for the replacement of any List A, List B, or List C document for I-9 purposes. This receipt is valid for 90 days from the date of hire (meaning, first day of work for pay) or in the case of re-verification, 90 days from the date employment authorization expired. Within 90- days, the employee must show you the replacement document for which the receipt was given. Additional resources: