Employment Authorization for F-1 and J-1 Students

Federal immigration regulations provide F-1 and J-1 students limited opportunities to engage in on and off-campus employment and internships.

  • All F-1 and J-1 students may engage in on-campus work – whether related or unrelated to the major field of study. J-1 students are required to verify and renew their work permission with OGS for each new position and each new academic year. 
  • All off-campus employment and internships, paid or unpaid, must be directly related to the student’s major field of study and must enhance classroom learning.  
  • All off-campus employment and internships, paid or unpaid, must be authorized in advance by OGS. 

OGS relies on the academic department to verify the relationship between the position and the academic field when signing request forms for work authorization

F-1 and J-1 students have separate processes for securing work authorization, and students are required to attend an online module and quiz in Canvas prior to applying for and receiving work authorization. Learn more about each work authorization below:

On-Campus Employment for F-1 and J-1 Students

Off-Campus Employment for F-1 Students

Faculty and administrators may consult the Sample CPT Instructions for Departments (PDF) when developing processes for enrolling and advising students in CPT eligible courses.

Off-Campus Employment for J-1 Students