The Fall 2018 immigration document request process has closed and OGS is no longer issuing documents. In mid-October, updated information will be available to new students admitted for Spring 2019.
OGS only processes immigration documents for international students who are fully admitted to Georgetown University. If you are a prospective student seeking admission to the university, please contact the appropriate admissions office to apply for a particular academic program.
Your complete application for the Form I-20 or DS-2019 must contain the documents outlined below. Please read these instructions carefully to ensure your documents meet the requirements before you upload them to the Portal. Incorrect or incomplete documentation will delay immigration document processing.
Applicant Information Form
Please download and complete the Applicant Information Form then upload it to the Portal. Responses must be typed.
Passport Biographic Page
Please make a copy of the biographic (photo) page in your passport and upload it to the Portal. In general, passports must be valid for a minimum of 6 months into the future on the date you enter the United States and at all times throughout your stay.
Online Pre-Arrival Orientation
Students must accept their invitation to Canvas in their Georgetown email account before logging in to Canvas using their Georgetown netID. Once logged in, students should go to the International Student & Scholar Services course to complete all sections of the Online Pre-Arrival Orientation. The information presented directly impacts you throughout your time in F-1 or J-1 status, and you are responsible for the information delivered through the online orientation. Please bring questions you have to your in-person orientation or request clarification when you meet with your international student advisor.
Each section of the orientation is followed by questions to check for understanding of the content in that section. After completing all sections, students must take a final quiz at the end of the Online Pre-Arrival Orientation and capture their quiz results as proof of completion. Once you finish the quiz and have the results, please print the results from your computer to save the file as a PDF or capture a screenshot of the quiz results. Then, upload the file or screenshot to the International Student Portal. The estimated time needed to complete the orientation and take the quiz is 1.5-2 hours. The final quiz has 15 questions.
Proof of English Proficiency
Only J-1 students are required to provide one of the following materials to prove English Proficiency:
- A minimum TOEFL score of 550 paper-based or 80 internet-based, or an IELTS of at least 7.0
- a signed document from an English language school (a school that teaches the English language) or English language instructor (an instructor who teaches English as a foreign language)
- an official transcript, school report or letter (signed and dated) from an educational institution where the language of instruction is English showing a minimum GPA equivalency of 3.0, or
- a documented (signed and dated) interview conducted in-person or by video- conferencing, or by telephone if videoconferencing is not a viable option, by Georgetown University staff or faculty in the admitting department/office
Students who cannot present one of these certifications of English language proficiency will not be able to study in J-1 status.
Only students who plan to bring a spouse and/or children with them to the United States in F-2 or J-2 dependent status need to submit documentation for this requirement. To request a Form I-20 or DS-2019 for your dependent to apply for the F-2 or J-2 visa/accompany you in F-2 or J-2 status, upload the following:
- Dependent Request Form (PDF) (responses must be typed)
- Passport biographic (photo) page for each dependent
- Upload Legal Dependent Documentation for each dependent only if your dependent does not require an F-2 or J-2 visa (example: a spouse or child who is a citizen of Canada). For a spouse, please upload your marriage certificate. For a child, please upload a birth certificate, adoption papers, etc.
Students who bring dependents must present evidence of funds to support those dependents in addition to the student’s individual estimated expenses. Please review the Proof of Funds requirements above for more details.
F-2 and J-2 dependents have different requirements, restrictions, and benefits from the primary F-1 or J-1 visa holder. For more information, please contact your IS Advisor.
Only students who already have an active SEVIS ID must submit documents for this requirement. If you currently hold an active Form I-20 or Form DS-2019, you must transfer your immigration record from your previous institution to Georgetown. F-1 students are eligible to transfer their SEVIS records for 60 days following the end date on the Form I-20 or EAD card. J-1 students must initiate the transfer of their SEVIS records before the end date on the Form DS-2019.
You must submit your complete application including the transfer documents listed below no later than 30 days prior to your program start date listed on the Program Dates and Expense Estimates Chart (PDF); however, the date your SEVIS record is released to Georgetown can be after this deadline. You may finish current semester coursework or post-completion training under your current institution. Submit the following documents by the deadline:
- Georgetown Transfer-In Form (PDF)
- Important: Your transfer release date must be no later than one week prior to your program start date on the Program Dates and Expense Estimates Chart (PDF).
- Georgetown will not accept SEVIS records in completed or terminated status.
- Most Recent I-94 Record
- Copy of Most Recent Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 (all pages)
- Copy of Most Recent F-1 or J-1 Visa