Request a Form I-20 (F-1) or Form DS-2019 (J-1)
The instructions on this website do not apply to the English Language Center, Law Center, or School of Continuing Studies.
Current Processing Times
- Form I-20/Form DS-2019: Currently 4 weeks following submission of the complete application. Please note OGS cannot accommodate telephone inquiries regarding immigration document requests.
- FedEx/DHL Delivery: Up to 1 week following issuance of the Form I-20/Form DS-2019.
- F-1/J-1 Visa: Time varies by consulate. Visit the U.S. Department of State (DoS) Visa Appointment Wait Times (new window)website to confirm current wait times for a visa interview and average processing times at the embassy or consulate where you plan to apply.
- The deadline to submit your complete Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 application is 30 days before your Program Start Date (PDF) (new window).
Students will be invited to create an International Student and Scholar Portal account one week after submitting their Intent to Enroll or Enrollment Agreement Form and their deposit (if applicable). To set up their Portal, students must:
1. Receive an invitation email from firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Activate Your Georgetown International Student and Scholar Portal Account’ at their Georgetown email* address.
2. Click the link in the email to create the Portal account and set up their password.
3. Receive a second email with the subject line: ‘Confirmation Required to Activate Your International Student and Scholar Portal Account’.
4. Click the link in the email and log into the Portal.
Students who follow this process but have difficulty logging into the Portal should try these troubleshooting tips.
The most common delays in receiving the ‘Activate Your Georgetown International Student and Scholar Portal Account’ email are:
- The University has not yet processed the confirmation of intent to enroll/deposit, which may take up to one week.
- The student’s email account filtered the message into the spam/junk folder.
Students who have waited more than one week for the ‘Activate Your Georgetown International Student and Scholar Portal Account’ email should email email@example.com for assistance.
*Note: Georgetown email is a Google application. Accessing Georgetown email from outside the United States may require students to use a virtual private network (VPN).
Purchase Shipment* for the Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 via eShipGlobal. The Office of Global Services (OGS) cannot send a digital copy of the immigration document.
The following students should not purchase shipment:
- Undergraduate exchange
*Note: As an alternative to shipping, students may arrange to pick up the immigration document from OGS in person by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please prepare all required documents before submitting them in the International Student and Scholar Portal.
To apply for the Form I-20 or Form-2019, every student must use the International Student and Scholar Portal to:
1. Input their home address in their country of citizenship or legal permanent residency.
2. Input their family member’s emergency contact information.
3. Upload all required documents.
Please carefully review the instructions in Step 3 to ensure documents meet the requirements. An incorrect or incomplete application will delay processing. The application will be reviewed only after all the required Form I-20/Form DS-2019 Application sections have been completed. Processing time is four weeks from the date the complete application is received.
Students should monitor their Portal account and Georgetown email for feedback on their submissions:
- ‘Needs Review’ indicates file is in the queue.
- Each file will be coded ‘Approved’ or ‘Declined’ once reviewed.
- Each requirement will be coded ‘Complete’ when no further documentation is required.
- If a file is declined and/or a requirement is coded ‘Not Complete’, an automated email is sent explaining the missing information.
- Please upload a new file that resolves the error.
- Once all requirements are coded ‘Complete’, an automated email is sent confirming the immigration document is being created.
- An automated ‘Issuance Notice’ email is sent when the immigration document is shipped.
Please be patient throughout this process. Inquiries about processing times cause delays for all students. All applications receive equal priority and are processed strictly in the order they are received.
- Students receive an ‘Issuance Notice’ email containing their SEVIS ID and important instructions on the date the Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 ships.
- Students must use the SEVIS ID to pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee and schedule a visa interview.
After U.S. Arrival: Immigration Document Review
- Students must upload U.S. entry documents to the Portal no later than the Program Start Date on the Form I-20 or Form DS-2019:
- Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 with student’s dated signature
- F-1 or J-1 visa stamp
- Entry stamp on passport
- I-94 record of entry
- Post-Arrival Orientation Quiz results with perfect 6/6 score
- Complete the post-arrival module and take the quiz in Canvas
- Dependent Documents: F-2/J-2 Form I-20/Form DS-2019, F-2/J-2 visa stamp, entry stamp on passport, and I-94
- International orientation is mandatory for all F-1 and J-1 students, even those who have previously studied in the United States. Visit our International Student Orientation page.
- Students must schedule travel to arrive at Georgetown no later than their mandatory arrival date (PDF). Students are permitted to enter the United States up to 30 days before this date.
- Use our checklist (PDF) to prepare for life in the capital region!