Request a Form I-20 (F-1) or Form DS-2019 (J-1)
Spring 2024 admitted students will begin receiving invitations to the International Student Portal on October 15.
The instructions on this website do not apply to the English Language Center or Law Center.
Current Processing Times
- Form I-20/Form DS-2019 Issuance: Currently three weeks from submission of the complete application. OGS cannot accommodate telephone inquiries regarding immigration document requests.
- F-1/J-1 Visa: Times vary. Visit this U.S. Department of State (DoS) website (new window) to confirm current wait times for a visa interview and average processing times at the embassy or consulate where you plan to apply.
- Form I-20/Form DS-2019 Application Deadline: 60 days before your Program Start Date (PDF) is strongly recommended. Applying later reduces the chance of arriving for your program. OGS will not process applications received less than 30 days before your Program Start Date (PDF).
Students are invited to the International Student and Scholar Portal one week after submitting their Intent to Enroll or Enrollment Agreement Form and their deposit (if applicable). To activate, students must:
- Receive at their Georgetown email* address the invitation from email@example.com with the subject line: Activate Your Georgetown International Student and Scholar Portal Account.
- Click the link to create their password.
- Receive a second email with the subject line: Confirmation Required to Activate Your International Student and Scholar Portal Account.
- Click the link to log in.
Students who follow this process without success should try these troubleshooting tips.
The most common delays in receiving the first email are:
- Deposit/confirmation of intent to enroll not yet processed.
- Email mistakenly filtered into the spam/junk folder.
Students who have waited more than one week for the first email should contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
*Note: Georgetown email is a Google application to which access from outside the United States may require a virtual private network (VPN).
Please prepare all required documents before submission.
Every F-1 and J-1 student must use the International Student and Scholar Portal to:
- Input their home address in their country of citizenship or legal permanent residence.
- Input their family member’s emergency contact information.
- Upload required documents.
All applicable sections must be submitted before OGS reviews the application. Please carefully review the instructions in Step 2 to ensure submissions meet requirements. Incorrect or incomplete applications cause delays.
- Needs Review: File is in queue.
- Once reviewed, each file is coded Approved or Declined
- Each section is coded Complete when no further documentation is required.
- Students must monitor their Portal account and Georgetown email for feedback on their submissions.
- If a requirement is coded Not Complete, students must read feedback and make further submissions
- Students receive an automated email once all requirements are complete and receive a second automated email when the Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 immigration document is issued.
Please be patient throughout this process. Inquiries about processing times cause delays for all students. All submissions receive equal priority and are processed strictly in the order received. The linked file provides instructions for navigating your Portal account (new window).
OGS issues the Form I-20/DS-2019 electronically and emails it to student’s Georgetown email address. Students should print the Form I-20/DS-2019 double-sided in color and sign and date the Student Attestation section at the bottom of page 1.
- Students receive an email containing their SEVIS ID and important instructions on the date the Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 is issued.
- Students must use the SEVIS ID to pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee and schedule a visa interview.
After U.S. Arrival: Immigration Document Review
- Students must upload U.S. entry documents to the Portal no later than the Program Start Date on the Form I-20 or Form DS-2019:
- Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 with student’s dated signature
- F-1 or J-1 visa stamp
Mandatory In-Person Immigration Session
- All F-1 and J-1 students must attend a mandatory in-person Immigration Session, even those who have previously studied in the United States.
- Students must schedule travel to arrive at Georgetown no later than their mandatory arrival date (PDF). Students are permitted to enter the United States up to 30 days before this date.
- Use our Pre-Arrival Checklist (PDF) to prepare for life in the capital region!
- Download our Post-Arrival Checklist (PDF) to organize your next steps after U.S. arrival.
- OGS emails newsletters to help you prepare for arrival and life as an international student at Georgetown. Please continue to check your Georgetown email account regularly.