J-1 Academic Training (AT)
Quick Information & Links
Academic Training (AT) is the opportunity for J-1 students to apply knowledge gained in the program of study to off-campus work. AT is authorized by OGS. J-1 students are immediately eligible to apply for AT. An application must be submitted for each new or extended period of training.
- Complete the required Academic Training (AT)* module and quiz in Canvas. A 100% score is required as proof of completion. Once you finish the quiz and have the results, click on Grades and then click the Print icon in the top right corner to download the Grade Report as a PDF.
- Position must directly relate to your field of study and constitute a critical academic experience.
- Position responsibilities must not consist of more than 20% unskilled or menial labor such as clerical tasks.
- AT may be used before or after completion of the academic program.
- AT period cannot exceed the length of the program (e.g. fall-only exchange students have 4 months of AT available).
- Georgetown J-1 Exchange Visitors are not eligible to use AT to serve as a lead teacher (teacher on record) in public and private U.S. pre-kindergarten and/or K-12 schools.
The letter should be written on the organization’s letterhead and must include the following information:
- position description and title
- position start and end date
- number of hours per week
- supervisor’s name, title, and contact information
- employment address (if not included on letterhead)
- acknowledgement that position responsibilities do not consist of more than 20% unskilled or menial labor such as clerical tasks.
- Sample AT Offer Letter (PDF)
Incomplete letters will delay authorization issuance.
- Student completes Part I.
- Academic Advisor/Dean completes Part II.
- AT Request Form (PDF).
Email the complete AT application to your dedicated IS Advisor (OGS does not accept in-person submissions). Allow 7-10 business days for processing Pre-Completion AT applications and 10 business days for processing Post-Completion AT* applications. Do not begin any activities for the organization until you receive the authorization approval notice from your IS Advisor.
*Note: Post-Completion AT applications must be approved by your dedicated IS Advisor prior to the end date on the Form DS-2019.
- Complete the AT Request Form (PDF) and submit the form to your dedicated IS Advisor by email as PDF attachments.
- Download your I-94 Record
- Job Offer Letter on Company Letterhead (Sample Offer Letter [PDF])
- AT Quiz results.
Additional Documents Required Only for Post-Completion AT*
- Proof of health insurance. Your signature on the AT Request Form serves as proof that you have valid health insurance that meets the J-1 requirements for the duration of AT. See the Health Insurance Options for AT Handout (PDF) for a list of options that meet the minimum J-1 health insurance requirements.
- Financial documentation for the post-completion period of stay (Estimate: $2,400 per month). All documents must be in English. Proof of funding examples are available on the Required Documents page.
Your IS Advisor will issue a new Form DS-2019 reflecting AT authorization.
J-1 Students must be in the United States to request AT. Please include the dates of any upcoming international travel in your AT application email.
Employment may only begin on the start date noted on the Form DS-2019.
AT applications must be approved prior to the requested start date of employment.
Travel During Post-Completion Academic Training
- a valid passport (valid six months into the future)
- a valid J-1 entry visa stamp in the passport
- original Form DS-2019 Form signed for travel in the last 6 months
- financial documentation or job offer letter with salary noted
- Address: The Department of State requires all J-1 students to report any change of local address to OGS within 10 days of moving to a new residence. GU alumni working with AT should report any address changes to their dedicated IS Advisor.
- Final Evaluation: For each Academic Training authorization, J-1 students must submit the AT Evaluation Form within 5 days of completion of AT period.
Questions about the AT application process?
View the Frequently asked questions