Inviting Lecturers

Individuals may enter the United States to give a lecture with a B-1 (visitor for business) visa or under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). They may be paid an honorarium and be reimbursed by Georgetown University for travel and living expenses related to the lecture.

The lecturer may only be paid an honorarium and/or reimbursement if they have not received payment from more than five other institutions in the past six months and the academic activity lasts less than nine days.

Lecturers/adjunct faculty who are the faculty of record for the class cannot use the B-1/Visa Waiver for Business and must come to the United States on a J-1 visa sponsored by Georgetown. Please see the section on Professors.

The individual should apply for the B-1 visa the U.S. Consulate in their home country. They will need a B-1 Invitation for Lecturers Sample (PDF) to use in support of the visa application. The lecturer should then present the B-1 visa and letter of invitation at the port of entry and explain the purpose of the trip. It is important that the visitor enters in B-1 and not B-2 status. Georgetown will be unable to pay the honorarium and reimburse expenses if the lecturer enters in B-2 tourist status.

*Important note: Beginning November 29, 2016, travelers with a 10-year B-1/B-2, B-1 or B-2 visa in a People’s Republic of China (PRC) passport will be required to enroll in the Electronic Visa Update System (EVUS) in order to be admitted to the United States in B-1 or B-2 status. Travelers using passports from Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR or Taiwan are not affected by the EVUS enrollment requirement.

Nationals of specific countries are eligible for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), which allows them to enter the United States without first obtaining a visa from a U.S. Consulate. These individuals are admitted to the United States for the purpose of business (WB) or pleasure (WT). Participants in the VWP may stay a maximum of 90 days and may not extend or change their immigration status while in the United States.

All travelers wishing to enter the United States under the Visa Waiver Program must register with the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). They are encouraged to complete the ESTA process no later than 72 hours prior to departure.

For a list of countries currently participating in the Visa Waiver Program please review the VWP website.

Important note: Lecturers who have traveled to Syria, Iraq or another country of concern as designated by the Secretary of Homeland Security (currently Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen)  are not eligible to use the Visa Waiver Program and must apply for a B-1/B-2 visa at the U.S. Consulate.

International lecturers who are eligible for the VWP should present their letter of invitation (PDF) along with their passport at the port of entry in order to enter the country in WB status (Visa Waiver for Business). It is important that the visitor is admitted in WB status, not for the purpose of tourism (WT).

Questions Regarding Honoraria and Reimbursements
For more information regarding payment of these individuals, please visit the Tax Department website.

More Information