Federal immigration regulations provide F-1 and J-1 students limited opportunities to engage in on and off-campus employment and internships.
- All F-1 and J-1 students may engage in on-campus work - whether related or unrelated to the major field of study. J-1 students are required to reverify their work permission with OGS for each new position and each new academic year.
- All off-campus employment and internships – whether paid or unpaid – must be directly related to the student’s major field of study and must enhance classroom learning.
- All off-campus employment and internships– whether paid or unpaid – must be authorized in advance by OGS.
OGS often relies on the academic department to verify the relationship between the position and the academic field when signing request forms for work authorization
F-1 and J-1 students have separate processes for securing work authorization, and students are required to attend an in-person information session or watch an online information session prior to receiving authorization. Please see the links below for additional details on the authorization processes.
On-Campus Employment for F-1 and J-1 Students
Off-Campus Employment for F-1 Students
- Curricular Practical Training
- Work with an International Organization
- Pre-Completion Optional Practical Training
- Post-Completion Optional Practical Training
Off-Campus Employment for J-1 Students