Quick Information & Links
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an F-1 employment authorization that allows F-1 students to work off-campus in a paid or unpaid position directly related to their field of study, such as an internship, fellowship, cooperative education, or any other type of required practicum.
- Take the CPT Eligibility Test
- Attend an Employment Session or watch the CPT Online Session in our Blackboard class "International Student Employment"
Note: If you watch the online session, you must complete the CPT Quiz in Canvas.
- The letter should be written on company letterhead. It may be a scan or fax of an original document. The following information must be indicated in the letter:
- position description
- number of hours per week
- dates of employment
- supervisor's name, title, contact information
- employment address (if not included on letterhead)
- paid or unpaid
- Sample Employment Verification Letter (PDF)
- Incomplete verification letters will not be accepted.
- Student completes Part I
- Academic Dean/Advisor completes Part II of the CPT Request Form (PDF).
Please email the completed CPT application to your dedicated IS Advisor (in-person submissions are not accepted). Allow 3-5 business days for processing. You must receive work authorization before beginning work, and the CPT authorization will not be complete until you have a new Form I-20 endorsed on page two.
- CPT Request Form (PDF) - signed by dean, chair of department, program administrator, or dissertation advisor
- Employment Verification Letter - Incomplete letters will NOT be accepted.
- Copy of I-94 card (front and back) or automated I-94 Form
- OGS will authorize CPT and issue you a new Form I-20 (Processing Time: 3-5 business days)
If you leave the U.S. after your submission, the I-94 is no longer valid and OGS must wait until you re-enter the U.S. and submit a new I-94 to process the CPT authorization. Please contact your IS Advisor if you plan to travel after you submit your CPT application.