Quick Information & Links
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an F-1 employment authorization that allows F-1 students to work off-campus in a paid or unpaid position directly related to their field of study, such as an internship, fellowship, cooperative education, or any other type of required practicum.
Applications must be submitted by email to your dedicated IS Advisor and are processed in the order received. OGS processing takes 3-5 business days following submission of a complete application. Once CPT is approved by OGS, students are not permitted to withdraw from the CPT course.
- Take the CPT Eligibility Test
- Attend a required Employment Session, either in-person or the CPT Online Session in Canvas "International Student Employment"
Note: If you watch the online session, you must complete the CPT Quiz in Canvas.
- The letter should be written on company letterhead. It may be a scan or fax of an original document. The following information must be indicated in the letter:
- position description and title
- number of hours per week
- dates of employment
- supervisor's name, title, contact information
- employment address (if not included on letterhead)
- Sample Employment Verification Letter (PDF)
- Incomplete verification letters will not be accepted.
- Student completes Part I
- Academic Dean/Advisor completes Part II of the CPT Request Form (PDF).
Please email the completed CPT application to your dedicated IS Advisor (in-person submissions are not accepted). Allow 3-5 business days for processing. You must receive work authorization before beginning work, and the CPT authorization will not be complete until you have a new Form I-20 endorsed on page two.
- CPT Request Form (PDF) - signed by dean, chair of department, program administrator, or dissertation advisor
- Incomplete Employment Verification Letters will not be accepted.
- Copy of I-94 card (front and back) or automated I-94 Form
- OGS will authorize CPT and issue you a new Form I-20 (Processing Time: 3-5 business days)
If you leave the U.S. after your submission, the I-94 is no longer valid and OGS must wait until you re-enter the U.S. and submit a new I-94 to process the CPT authorization. Please contact your IS Advisor if you plan to travel after you submit your CPT application.