Time Outside the United States

In accordance with the Department of State (DoS) J-1 guidelines:

Authorization to be outside the United States for more than 30 days at a time

The U.S. Department of State considers an absence from the United States of more than 30 days at a time to be a break in the J-1 program (Exception: Summer break for teaching faculty). Therefore, if J-1 scholars need to be out of the United States for more than 30 days at a time during their J-1 program, they should request authorization from OGS in advance of travel. OGS advisors can enter scholars as “out of country” in SEVIS to authorize the travel, so they can continue their J-1 program.

In order to receive authorization, scholars should email their OGS advisor with the dates of their travel, the address where they will be, and a confirmation that they will be continuing their J-1 program activities during that time. This should be done in advance of the travel. Scholars should update their OGS advisor in advance of their original planned return date if their plans change while they are outside the country so that the authorization can be updated.

Majority of time in the United States

Additionally, at a minimum, J-1 scholars must spend at least 50% of their time in the United States during the dates of the J-1 program listed on the DS-2019 Form.

OGS Cannot Authorize J-1 Scholars to Work in Other Countries

Please note that OGS can authorize J-1 scholars to be outside of the United States for more than 30 days and maintain their J-1 program but does not have the authority to authorize scholars to work in other countries. Your supervisor and Department should consult with the Provost Office or Human Resources if you are requesting to work outside of the United States.