Scholar Extensions & Transfers


J-1 Scholars whose appointment at the University has been extended should work with their host Department to complete a J-1 Scholar Request form to request an extension of their Form DS-2019. Extensions must be processed before the Form DS-2019 expires, not in the 30-day grace period. Please allow at least one week for processing in OGS.

Transfer Out of Georgetown to another institution

J-1 Scholars who intend to transfer from Georgetown University to another U.S. institution must complete a J-1 Scholar Transfer Out Form (PDF). Scholars must work with their IS Advisor to complete the transfer process prior to beginning their program at the new institution.

Transfer to Georgetown from Another Institution

J-1 Scholars who intend to transfer to Georgetown University from another U.S. institution must complete the transfer before beginning their Georgetown program. J-1 Scholars must complete the J-1 Scholar Request Form (PDF) with the interested Georgetown Host Department.