Quick Information & Links
Academic Training (AT) is the opportunity for J-1 students to apply knowledge gained in the program of study to off-campus work. AT is authorized by OGS. J-1 students are immediately eligible to apply for AT. An application must be submitted for each new or extended period of training.
- The job/internship must be related to your field of study.
- AT may be used before or after completion of the academic program.
- AT period cannot exceed the length of the program (e.g. Fall-only exchange students have 4 months of AT available).
- Watch the required online J-1 Academic Training session in Canvas and take the corresponding quiz, or attend an in-person session.
- Required Documents:
- Additional Documents Required Only for Post-Completion AT*
- Proof of health insurance
- Financial documentation for the post-completion period of stay (Estimate: $2,300 per month)
*Post-Completion AT applications must be approved by your dedicated IS Advisor prior to the end date on the Form DS-2019
- Pre-Completion AT: 3-5 business days.
- Post-Completion AT: 10 business days. The deadline to submit the application is 10 business days prior to the end date on the Form DS-2019.
- Employment may only begin on the start date noted on the Form DS-2019.
- AT applications must be approved prior to the requested start date of employment.
- Post-Completion Academic Training
- a valid passport (valid six months into the future)
- a valid J-1 entry visa stamp in the passport
- original Form DS-2019 Form signed for travel in the last 6 months
- financial documentation or job offer letter with salary noted
- Reporting Requirements
- Address: The Department of State requires all J-1 students to report any change of local address to OGS within 10 days of moving to a new residence. GU alumni working with AT should use our Online Address and Phone Number Update Form.
Final Evaluation: For each Academic Training authorization, J-1 students must submit the AT Evaluation Form within 10 days of completion of AT period.